Monday, March 05, 2007

Never trust a Korean woman....

....that only charges you 4,000 won to hem a pair of jeans!
Do you remember the jeans I mentioned in the previous post? Do you remember how excited I was to finally be able to buy some pants? Do you remember how it took only one little Korean lady to RUIN MY LIFE!? No? Ohhhhh, that's because I haven't told you all about it yet. Here is the true tale of my travelling pants.

I bought two pairs of jeans in Beijing. This was amazing because I hadn't really done a lot of shopping in Korea. When I found jeans that fit around my hips I bought them regardless of the cost. I carried them home carefully in my new suitcase and they made it home safely. I took them to the local dry cleaners to have the bottoms hemmed. They were a little long for me. The cost was amazing. For those of you that don't know. 4,000 won = about 4 dollars Canadian. When I heard the price I thought "hmmmm, that's really cheap, I wonder if she does a good job". She told us to come back in 2 hours and they would be finished. (I make this conversation between the lady and I sound so simple but let me tell you -- IT WASN'T. What seemed like 4 hours of extreme body language later and I was on my way home.)

I returned to the dry cleaners to pick up my new pants. I didn't even look at them in the store. I was too excited. Half way home I take a look at my pants and almost had a breakdown in the street. It was no wonder that I had only paid 8,000 won for my two pairs of jeans. All she had done was fold up my jeans and sew a line across the bottom. So yeah, I'm wearing jeans that look like my MOM made them from scrap materials (sorry Mom!).


Sample A

Sample B

Sample C



I'm trying not to really think about it. It's not THAT big of a deal. I did only pay 10 dollars for each pair of jeans.



Miss you all.

No comments: